Prateek Asked :
Q. Mention what is the difference between generator and alternator?
Submit Your Answer
1. An alternator is a device that converts mechanical energy into AC electrical energy.
2. An alternator always induces an alternating current.
3. Alternators are very efficient.
1. A generator is a mechanical device which converts mechanical energy to either AC or DC electrical energy.
2. A generator can generate either alternating or direct current.
3. Generators are considered less efficient.
Both generator and alternator are capable of converting mechanical energy to electrical energy. Main difference between them is that alternator can produce only AC from mechanical energy while generator can produce both AC as well as DC from mechanical energy.